Fulvous Whistling-Ducks at Magnolia Gardens

Five of the seven Fulvous Whistling-Ducks reported earlier from Magnolia
Gardens in Charleston county were present today on Indian Mound pond.  It
was another good day to be looking for ducks - cool wind, gray skies, and
brief showers.  Sharon Brown has posted pictures of the ducks at

http://slbrown3.home.mindspring.com/fulvous_whistling-ducks.html

Some of these pictures (as the text on the web page will explain) were taken
on Thursday, a much better day for photography through a spotting scope, as
Thursday as a clear, crisp day with bright sun.

Yes, the legs and bill really are that color.  That is not a trick of the
digital camera or "funny" lighting.  And, yes, the legs really are that long
and thick.  That is not a trick of perspective.  Wonderful and unusual birds!

In birds notes closer to home, on Thursday, I was lucky enough to hear all
three of our local year-round resident owls - Great Horned, Barred and
Eastern Screech Owl.  All were calling just at sunset.

In sum, this was a good week of "winter birding".  Send in the Evening
Grosbeaks and the Pine Siskins!

Donna Bailey
Winnsboro, SC
e-mail: dsbailey@conterra.com