Area lakes

Hi folks;
Went to Junaluska today. Lake was *frozen*! Mostly Mallards and Canadas. Saw
a few geese that looked sort of like blue phase Snows. White heads and
necks, one had a little greyish blue on the neck. They were with a flock of
Canadas on the Maggie Valley end of the lake. Probably an interesting color
morph of the domestic Greylag. They were not mixing with the rest of the
Greylag/Chinese Swan Goose types.
Saw the Pintail and Blue Winged Teal at Beaver Lake on Saturday. Which leads
me to say this:

Beaver Lake Sanctuary is a wonderful under used resource. If you look at the
informative brochures provided by the Mitchell Chapter, you will see that
almost all Eastern Warblers have been seen there except for Kirtland's and a
few others. The place is jumping with birds on any day, and I have been
going there for more than 2 years, and have only seen 2 birders in the whole
time. Usually I see a few joggers and "doggers" (dog walkers) who ususlly do
not have their dog on a leash.
This place is an absolute showpiece of something that can be done. There are
boardwalks now, so you don't even have to get your feet wet. The wetland
area and scrub are perfect habitat for White Throated and Swamp Sparrows,
and other more common birds are easily seen.
It is also wonderful habitat for frogs, turtles, rabbits, and beaver are
back in Beaver Lake after a long absence. In the siltation pond they created
there are numerous Dragon and Damselflies in the warm months, and
butterflies are all over the place.
I would suggest (IMHO) that anyone living west of Winston - Salem and east
of Tennessee should get down here (or up here) and see it. It is a wonderful
suburban sanctuary within walking distance of places to eat, get gas,
groceries, or a haircut. I am there almost every week, though, unlike most
birders, am not a morning person.
Check it out, you will like it.
Disclaimer: I am not (at present) associated with the Audubon Society,
though I should be, and very likely will be in the future...
Alex Netherton
Asheville NC
danetherton@msn.com
http://www.appalachian-naturalist.com