cats and birds

John's cat story in Raleigh is a sad one, but I think
not much else he could have done. We've had continual
feral and neighbor-cat problems since we've lived at
our present place, for about 12 yrs. We adopted 2 from
the woods as kittens and they've been wonderful indoor
cats who love to birdwatch from our windows and
screened porch. We simple can't afford the time and
money or space for more. Live-trapping, of course,
isn't really a good answer, whether you move the cat
to become someone else's problem, or to die. We've
tried finding homes for them, but no luck, probably
because most of our problem visitors are adults (who
reproduce). In addition to "suburban" feeder birds, we
have quail, ovenbirds, thrashers and other ground, or
close-to-the-ground nesters who are at risk. I have
read of groups formed in cities (can't recall their
name) that are organized to care for cats inthe wild,
or to find them homes. Perhaps if someone has a better
memory than mine they'll know what I'm talking about
and we could find out more about their solutions to
this problem that seems to have no good answer. I love
cats and birds and wish we could come up with
something better than live trapping.

=====
--Linda Jeannette Ward
--P.O. Box 231