Pea Island on fire?

Hi C-birders,

A message from Ken Klotz to the Virginia birding listserv about his
recent trip down the Outer Banks mentions a huge fire burning a large
area of Pea Island from South Pond to the north end. Anyone else see
this? Was this a wildfire, or a proscribed burn? Any predictions on
effects of this burn, negative or positive, on bird diversity and numbers
on Pea Island for the near future?

Also, remember CARA, the Conservation And Reinvestment Act? It's being
reintroduced. It cruised through the House last year, and the Senate
(which derailed it in favor of a weaker bill last year) has definitely
changed for the better conservation-wise thanks to the defeats of several
of the League of Conservation Voters' "Dirty Dozen" (see
http://www.lcv.org/). Stay tuned for more details, and those of you who
are in the habit of writing your congresspeople, be sure to keep it up,
thanking those who supported it last time, and harassing those who
opposed it so they'll think twice before doing so again...

My housemate Norm Douglas assures me that, despite Frank's missing it,
the Rufous Hummingbird was back at the feeder yesterday. Tomorrow's my
day without any classes (although many of my friends would insist that I
never have any class), so I'll spend at least part of the day reading by
the kitchen window to check up on the little bugger.

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose
Duke University