Spring, finally, in the northern mountains

Dear Folks:

Two interesting sightings Thursday and Friday here in Alleghany County:

Late Thursday a Sharp-Shinned Hawk was harassing a Red-Tailed Hawk over the
farm and the two circling birds got close enough to one of the occupied
Kestrel boxes to cause the male Kestrel to attempt to drive both away, thus
briefly giving me a view of three species of hawks in the binoculars at one
time at fairly close range.

Friday late I saw my first Scarlet Tanager, male, of the season in
undergrowth in hardwoods on the north side of the Knob. As I was watching
the Tanager moving slowly in the brush, I became aware of several warblers
coming through the woods in my direction, eventually identifying a male
Cerulean with several Yellow-Rumps (and a G-C Kinglet). After a minute or
so the Cerulean Warbler moved into the same dogwood as the Tanager, and I
was able to watch BOTH in the same field of view in the binoculars at about
25' range. Spectacular contrast of colors!

The hard freeze early this week has killed most of the new leaves that were
just beginning to unfurl, so the woods again look about as they have since
November. The Tanager and Cerulean were a needed sight.

James Coman