Warbling Vireo, Canada Warbler etc near Raleigh

This morning I heard a Warbling Vireo along Mid Pines Road near
Raleigh.  Although the song is unmistakable and one that I'm thoroughly
familiar with from elsewhere, the bird was so far from the road that I
had to listen for a while to be sure I could trust my ears.  I could.
I've always assumed that trespassing on this NCSU property is
inadvisable (anyone know for sure?) so I didn't try to see the bird.  To
listen for it yourself, stand on the road from a spot just east of the
little creek that the road crosses, and listen to the south, in the
willows downstream on the creek.  I'm a poor judge of distance but I'd
say the bird was about 100 yards from the road.

In this same area, one Swamp Sparrow still lingered by the creek.  I did
not see the Loggerhead Shrike that I had seen there a couple of weeks
ago, and that others have reported.  I had a few flyover Bobolinks but
no satisfying views.  That was rectified by a small but cooperative
flock over on Inwood Road.

At Swift Creek Bluffs, I stopped to pish my first of the year
Black-throated Blue Warbler closer, and a silent Canada Warbler came in
with it.  It's not often that you first see a good spring warbler before
you hear it!  After a couple of minutes the bird did sing persistently
for a while.

--
Kent Fiala
Raleigh, NC