Nashville Warbler and Others

Dwayne and I birded along Wilson Creek today in Northern Burke County, NC
following Forest Service Roads and ending at the Linville Falls Picnic area.
We had good numbers of all the "expected" warblers and even had a fantastic
surprise!  We had a very curious Nashville Warbler apparently moving with a
flock of Yellow-rumps just past Edgemont, NC.  We were quite pleased----and
surprised to see this cute little fellow!  Below is the list of other
migrants seen for the day:

Broad-winged Hawk  2
Chimney Swift  15+
N. Rough-winged Swallows  6 (assumed nesting in banks of Wilson's Creek?)
Eastern Wood-Pewee  1
Great-Crested Flycatcher  1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  3
Gray Catbird  2
Blue-headed Vireo  1
Red-eyed Vireo  20+ (probably more!)
Nashville Warbler  1
Northern Parula  8
Yellow Warbler  2
Black-throated Blue Warbler 9
Yellow-rumped Warbler  12
Black-throated Green Warbler  14
Blackburnian Warbler  1  (at Linville Falls picnic area)
Yellow-throated Warbler  4
Pine Warbler  2
Prairie Warbler  2
Black-and-white Warbler 5
Worm-eating Warbler 3
Ovenbird  10
Louisiana Waterthrush 5
Hooded Warbler  13
Scarlet Tanager   1

Other Birds of interest were two Red-breasted Nuthatches and a Pine Siskin
at the picnic area, and a strutting male Ruffed Grouse who came within
inches of losing his precious life as I whizzed around the corner on the
parkway and came to a screeching halt as he calmly continued across the road
unharmed.  He must've known we were birders! ;)

Dwayne & Lori Martin
Foothills Bird Club
Claremont, NC
dlmartin@twave.net