Irmo,SC spring count

Irmo,SC Spring Bird Count, April 29, 2001

I.    Saluda Shoals Park, Columbia Audubon Society walk

Tom Hankins, Roger Smith, Steve Dennis, Andrea Ceselski, Dan & Cindy Tufford,
et al.  7:00-9:30 am  bright, clear, cool ~60 degs. after a cold front
light breeze
additions by me 6:30-7:30pm denoted *

Lots of Yellow-rumped Warblers still around.
Evidently not a big migration day--perhaps too early for this year--but
still we found 63 species (and we missed some, such as Belted Kingfisher,
Pileated Woodpecker, and Brown Thrasher).

Living up to prominent coverage in Friday's newspaper, a male Painted Bunting
posed and sang cooperatively from a power line overhead.
--------------------
Double-cr. Cormorant    *
Great Blue Heron	*
Canada Goose
Wood Duck
Spotted Sandpiper
Ring-billed Gull
Turkey Vulture
Broad-winged Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Mourning Dove

Yellow-bil. Cuckoo
Barred Owl
Chimney Swift		*
Ruby-thr Hummingbd.
Red-head. Woodpkr.
Red-bel. Woodpkr.
Acadian Flycatcher
E. Phoebe
Gr. Cr. Flycatcher
E. Kingbird

N. Rough-Winged Swallow
Blue Jay
American Crow
Fish Crow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Brown-h. Nuthatch	*
Carolina Wren
Blue-Gr. Gnatcatcher
E. Bluebird

Wood Thrush
Gray Catbird
N. Mockingbird
Cedar Waxwing
White-eyed Vireo
Yellow-thr. Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Yellow-rumped Warb.
N. Parula
Black-throated Blue Warb.

Yellow-throated Warb.
Pine Warbler
Black&White Warbler
American Redstart
Ovenbird
N. Waterthrush
Com. Yellowthroat
Yellow-br. Chat
Scarlet Tanager		*
N. Cardinal

Rose-br. Grosbeak
Blue Grosbeak
Indigo Bunting
Painted Bunting
E. Towhee
White-thr. Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
Chipping Sparrow
Common Grackle
Brown-h. Cowbird

Baltimore Oriole
House Finch
Am. Goldfinch

II.  Additional species found by the group at Gardendale Boat Ramp area,
10:00-11:30am

Downy Woodpecker
Pileated Woodpecker
Brown Thrasher
Barn Swallow
Yellow-throated Vireo
Summer Tanager
Orchard Oriole

Additional species found by me, 1:00-6:30pm, at home or driving around
the area (including St. Andrews Road and Lake Murray Dam, Pine Island):

Common Loon
Green Heron
Mallard
American Coot
Red-shouldered Hawk
Belted Kingfisher
Rock Dove
Purple Martin
American Robin
Eurasian Starling
House Sparrow

TOTAL........................81 species for the day
(I got all but the Swamp Sparrow)

Species I couldn't find included Loggerhead Shrike.

Jerry Griggs    	j@sc.edu	407-2706
Columbia, SC