Howell Woods field trip;chickadees fledge!!!

Great birding this weekend at Howell Woods in Johnston
County, NC.
78 species counted by several different groups.
Highlights:
Mississippi kites-2
Wild Turkey-2
cerulean(seen by High Point group)
solitary sandpiper-(first sighting for Howell Woods)
grasshopper sparrow-(my first!)
blue-headed vireo
SWainson's warbler-heard only
Kentucky warbler-heard only
Orchard Oriole
Lots of indigo buntings,hoodeds,summer tanagers,great
crested flycatchers,prothonataries,redstarts,blue
grosbeacks,
E.meadowlarks, E. bluebirds, red-eyed vireos, etc
Misses include prairie warblers, and migrant warbler
species usually seen(blue-winged warbler,
black-throated blues)
Chris and I got a special treat yesterday when I got
home:
We got to see five chickadee babes fledge from the
nest box!!! What an amazing sight-from 2:30 -3p. two
were very brave and just did it pretty quick. The
others would come out and go back in. Mama and Daddy
had to tease them with a caterpillar inch wormy thing
to get them to make the flight. I was surprised at how
well they all flew!
We feel so blessed to see the sight. Thank God it was
a Sunday and we were working in the yard!
For you Karen!
Kate

=====
Kate Finlayson