Spring weekend - Part !: Raleigh and vicinity

Hello birders;

This weekend was a whirlwind trip of birding and beautiful weather.  Eric
Hynes (a good friend from northern Virginia) and I had a fabulous weekend of
spring birding.  Our adventure began Saturday morning on the Buckeye
Greenway trail in Raleigh.  As soon as we stepped out of the car, a HOUSE
WREN was singing emphatically in the thick shrubbery near the parking lot.
We were hoping for the blue-winged warbler found earlier in the week, but
were treated to a MAGNOLIA WARBLER instead.  The bird was at the
quarter-mile marker, and was accompanied by NORTHERN PARULAS, BLACK-THROATED
GREENS, BLACK-AND-WHITES, GREAT-CRESTED FLYCATCHERS and tons of WOOD THRUSH.
In the shrubby habitat across Crabtree Creek we saw or heard ORCHARD ORIOLE,
COMMON YELLOWTHROATS, and our first YELLOW WARBLER for the year.

Moving on to Umstead Park and the Loblolly Trail, we were greeted by
numerous SUMMER TANAGERS, OVENBIRDS, WOOD THRUSH, GREAT-CRESTED FLYCATCHERS
and BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLERS.  Other sightings included a single male
SCARLET TANAGER, a few BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLERS, one RED-HEADED
WOODPECKER, two LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH, and a male ACADIAN FLYCATCHER calling
loudly and showing us his "wing-whir" display.  Foamflower, dwarf crested
iris, and jack-in-the-pulpit were easy to find as well.  A few cross vine
flowers lingered, but most were found only on the ground.

By mid-morning we made our way to Hemlock Bluffs and were delighted to add a
VEERY and AMERICAN REDSTART to our day list.  A pair of male BROWN-HEADED
COWBIRDS were displaying for each other on the roof of the visitor's
center...quite entertaining!!  The wildflowers along the trail are
spectacular, including nodding trillium, dwarf-crested iris, foamflower,
wild geranium, and lyre-leaved sage.

Finally we wrapped up the morning at Mid-Pines road.  We successfully
located the LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE and were also treated to a YELLOW-BREASTED
CHAT in the adjacent shrubbery.  A few INDIGO BUNTINGS were present as well
as numerous ORCHARD ORIOLES. However, we didn't have any luck finding the
Bobolinks.

Cheers!
Heather Wallace
Raleigh, NC