Graham County Warblers

Carolinabirders:
Just returned from a week in Robbinsville, Graham County leading Ventures to
Snowbird Lodge, Stecoah Gap and other good birding spots in the area.
Weather conditions were cool and pleasant and the birds cooperated for one
of our best spring trips ever.
Highlights of the 30 warbler species seen during this week included:
Cerulean: Extended views of several males and one very cooperative female.
Golden-winged: Lots!
Blue-winged: 1 male seemingly on territory and "singing"!
Blackburnian: Lots, inc. a pair foraging on the ground.
Blackpoll, Cape May and Bay-breasted.
Extended views of Kentucky, Black-throated Blue and Ovenbird.
Nashville and Swainson's: Singing males
As well as all of the warblers, we also had an orange-variant Scarlet
Tanager, and lots of red ones too!
Baltimore Orioles, Blue and Rose-breasted Grosbeaks,Yellow-billed Cuckoo etc
etc.
If you missed out this year, we will be enjoying spring migration again
there next spring with a three day visit to Snowbird Lodge and 3 day trips
to the Stecoah Gap area, all in late April and early May 2002. Also a three
day fall migration trip to Snowbird Lodge is planned for 17-19 September
2001.
Contact me for further details.
Simon

Simon Thompson