veery, saw-whet, and magnolia warbler in the high country

Folks,

Just a note... Yesterday Lesley Penfield and I were up at Beacon Heights and
heard a saw-whet calling quite incessantly, and starting around 5ish pm.
Sounded like he was calling from the base of Grandfather, which would make
sense.

Also, had a couple of veery singing from around the rocks at Beacon Heights.
  As we were leaving, a huge maple was like static, so full of warblers.
Black-throated blues, black-throated greens, canadas, a blackburnian, and
magnolias.  Males and females.  Presume this was a mixed flock feeding
viciously before another night of flight, in that only the black-throated
blue and greens were singing.

Oh yeah, also got the first least flycatcher this morning on Roby Greene
road in Watauga Co.  Didnt get a look (on a run) but cant mistake that
cheBIK.

Hope all you twitchers are still enjoying the movement.  Went up to Ohio for
a few days and the singing seems to be in full swing there, too.

Jason Bulluck
Masters Candidate,
Appalachian State University, Biology
Boone, NC

Humanity is exalted not because we are so far above other living creatures,
but because knowing them well elevates the very concept of life.    Edward
O. Wilson