Year of the Kite

I wonder if one could possibly see all three kite species (Mississippi,
Swallowtailed and Whitetailed) in North Carolina in a single day. This
question occurred to me as I watched a Swallowtailed Kite soaring over
US 264, a couple of miles SW of the intersection of US 64 & 264, in the
Alligator River National Refuge, Dare County, NC at 9:15 A.M. on Sunday,
May 27.

I suspect that such a feat would be enhanced by searching in a coastal
county and being fortunate enough to encounter one species (or more)
relatively early in the day, as diurnal raptors are not very early
risers. Based on the recent report of a Whitetailed Kite in Currituck
County recently, the month of May might be appropriate for such a challenge.

Wayne Irvin
145 Riding Lane
Southern Pines, NC 28387
910 695 7269