Hummingbird special moments

Hi folks,

I finally got RT hummingbirds coming to my feeder this weekend: both
a male and female came separately on two occasions. It took them
about 3 weeks to find the feeder, so I hope its to their taste and
they keep visiting.

Then yesterday evening I was at a friend's house in S Durham for a
BBQ when a male RTHB flew in through an open window then proceeded to
bump up and down a closed one trying to get back out! It was just
like a large insect, working his way up the window, then slipping
down and moving up again. I managed to corner him, cup him in my
hands and get him outside, where he shot off into some trees. I
didn't hold him for longer than was necessary to get him outside as I
was worried I'd injury him, but I got a good look at his iridescent
back and throat: what amazing colors!

Also took a brief trip to Jordan Lake to see the eagle nest from the
observation platform and was treated with views of an adult, a
youngster on the nest and an immature snatch a fish from the lake.
Good views of the osprey nest too, and then B+W, prothonotary and
pine warblers and ovenbirds in the woods. Also saw my first hairy WP
of the year.

Other notables at the feeders: young song sparrows, bluejays, towhee
and house finches, but no cardinals yet. Mum and Dad are around
collecting food though. RBWP m+f also busy, but I haven't seen the
downy WP pair for about 2 weeks.

best wishes

--
Steve Perry

Receptor Biology Lab, Duke Uni Med Center, Durham, NC

stevep@receptor-biol.duke.edu