Tufted Titmouse story

Howdy!

I am thrilled to say I was able to witness two Tufted Titmice leaving
the nest box for the first time yesterday!! This was my first time
witnessing such a big event in a bird's life.

I've been watching for two weeks as the parents were busy flying back
and forth to the box with food. I had a feeling they would be leaving
the nest soon. On Saturday I saw one nestling sticking it's head out of
the box as the parent flew in with food. The box is in our backyard
where I can see it from the kitchen window and porch door. I had the
door open so I could hear the kids talking. I kept looking outside
because I wanted to see their first flight. One titmouse consistently
looked out the hole, chipping loudly. The parents continued feeding
them, working harder it seemed. Occasionally, they were feeding them
suet from the feeder close by. Finally, around 9:15 am the titmouse
reached out more, with feet clasped around the hole, and out and down he
flew. A few seconds later another one, who seemed more hesitant,
attempted to leave, but not before his foot seemed to get stuck on the
hole. I had positioned myself on the floor in front of the opened door
to catch this moment. I stood up in excitement and saw one fledgling
hoping around the bird bath, then perched on a holly bush for awhile,
before a parent came with food. Our backyard is wooded, so I predict
they're back there, hunched down, trying to stay out of harms way.

I realized after the first flight that I was lucky to look outside in
time to see the pair of titmouse mating several weeks ago. I checked my
bird records and marked it down on May 9. Several days before that I had
been hearing the titmouse singing from a perch close to the box. I had
suspected the male was feeding the incubating female later in the month,
then May 28 was the first time I heard nestlings inside. Since I've
reported my excitement and sadness with my chickadees, I decided to wait
until after they were successful leaving the nest!! I know the hard part
starts for them now.

Birds are amazing creatures!!

Happy birding!!

Karen Bearden