Stuff in the yard

All,

You don't have to go far to find  alot of neat things. This weekend, we
discovered a borwn thrasher nest in the akebia vine on my pergola, a
catbird nest in blackberry brambles on the other side of my 1.5 acre
property, deer tracks within 10 feet of th dog kennels (that must be why
the mutts raised sand Saturday night), and a lace-winged road-side
skipper on the jasmine vine on the front porch. The kingfishers are
still hanging out on the pond, and I had a truely spectacular, metallic
green, red and yellow wood boring beetle (Buprestis rufipes, I think)
fly into the side of my head as I cleaned the gutters saturday. To top
it off, my daughter and I saw a groundhog about  a mile away on Covered
Bridge road outside Clayton a couple hundred yards from where it crosses
the Neuse. (This is the first time I've seen one this far south and
east, and its a long way from the nearest interstate- anyone know
anything about this animal's status in Johnston Co. and eastern NC? I've
seen them in northern Wake and Franklin Cos.)

Yep, you don't hav to go far.

Clyde Sorenson
clyde_sorenson@ncsu.edu
Clayton and Raleigh, NC