[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: California notes
- To: "Paula Jeannet Mangiafico" <email@example.com>, "carolinabirds" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: California notes
- From: "tom & liz lathrop" <email@example.com>
- Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 05:14:09 -0400
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: email@example.com
> By the way, a friend in CA told me that condors have been released in the
> Grand Canyon. Is this true? Where are other release sites outside of CA,
> if any? What a sight that would be! Has anyone in this group seen a
When we were camping on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon on September
15, 1999, we went to Yaki Point and there were two birders there, one from
Connecticut and one from Arizona, counting raptors for Hawk Watch
International. We saw Condor No. 34 (he was tagged) perched on a ledge.
We stayed til late afternoon when the winds came up and we were chilled,
but we never saw No. 34 flying. There were great views there seeing
falcons, accipiters, TVs and Ravens swooping up from the Canyon as they
migrated through. Folks in NC were dealing with Floyd, which had made
landfall in Wilmington earlier that day and we were just a little bit
concerned about our property in Oriental.
I just heard on the news that the first Condor has been hatched in the
wild. Maybe the program is working!