Barn Owls

  While grocery shopping a week ago wearing a T-shirt with a bunch of owls on
it, an elderly woman stopped me and said, "Oh owls, I love them, I have Barn
Owls in my barn."  I tried not to leap too high and calmly expressed my
interest.  She was a very pleasant woman who said I was welcome to come check
her barn any time.  She said the owls had been nesting there for years, but she
thought something had gotten at the nest and destroyed it this year and she
didn't know if they were still around.
	I didn't have time look for a few days, but Wayne Forsythe and I
stopped by there last weekend to check it out.  Sure enough, she had two Barn
Owls, not in the barn but in the silo.  They were easy to find as the ground
was covered with pellets.  This is the second pair of Barn Owls that we have
found out about in the last year in the county (Henderson County).  It makes
you wonder how many more Barn Owls may be out there.  Maybe I should spend more
time strolling through grocery stores wearing my owl T-shirt!
Marilyn Westphal
Hendersonville, NC
mjwestphal@unca.edu