Turkey flock

Hi Folks,

At Eno River SP (Fews Ford) Sat 8am I found a flock of 18 turkeys
feeding on the freshly laid grass seed and straw by the new covered
picnic area. A wonderful site to behold! There appeared to be 2 adult
males, one adult female and 15 juveniles. Can anyone tell me whether
this would have represented a single family group or several creched
broods under the supervision of some of the adults? Do turkeys creche
their young like this?

Also saw blue grosbeak, field sparrows, indigos and heard a yb
cuckoo. Unfortunately, the power company has been along and levelled
all the scrub growing up under the powerlines, so no chats or WE
vireos were to be seen or heard in their usual place. This has also
meant the path by the powerlines has vanished too and the path along
the river that joins the powerline path to the "official" nature
trail is becoming very overgrown. Alas, the best loop of Fews Ford
may not be passable for very much longer :-(

--
Steve Perry

Receptor Biology Lab, Duke Uni Med Center, Durham, NC

stevep@receptor-biol.duke.edu