Re: attracting woodpeckers with owl calls

Of course calling birds is harassment. The real question is whether or not
it does the birds any significant damage. Squeaking up titmice, or imitating
a screech owl to attract birds, within limits, probably does no real harm.
But we still have to bear in mind that anytime we alter a bird's behavior by
our presence we are potentially doing harm. We all do this. Backyard bird
feeding might be seen by some as a danger to birds, and so it is. We are
part of the mix. If you hoot like a Barred Owl from time to time, in order
to attract a Red-headed Woodpecker, this is usually no big deal. I hoot and
do screech and pygmy owl imitations routinely to attract birds, but I always
keep in mind that this is harassment. So I try not to overdo it, and I
especially try not to harm nesting birds. "Ta meron ton kalon" -- moderation
in all things, including calling up birds.

I hope there will never be the screech-owl tape police to deal with, but,
under certain circumstances, using owl calls is completely inappropriate,
such as at Peveto Woods or High Island or some other migrant stopover on the
Gulf Coast during spring migration.

This is a real ethical issue among birders, and like most ethical issues, it
has no clear-cut answer. Just be aware of it. Also be aware that you can be
injured by calling a Barred Owl if the owl thinks of you as a threat.

Robin Carter
Columbia, SC
rcarter@sc.rr.com