CBC fun

Howdy!

Joe and I returned from the CBC meeting in Nagshead at 8 pm last night.
CBC weekends are always fun, but I sure am tired today!

Before leaving Nagshead, we went to Jockey's Ridge SP with Gail and
Charlie, birding the sound side entrance. We were delighted to see two
pair of Common Goldeneye in the Roanoke Sound! They were courting and
giving us a great show. Considering my love for  chickadees, I was very
happy to see the first one of the weekend as Gail and I walked along the
Sound Side Trail.

Gosh!! I can't believe a weekend at the Outer Banks and no loons!! I
know others saw them (JEFF and WILL), but we didn't. I was more
disappointed about not seeing a loon than I was missing the Ash-throated
Flycatcher and Black-headed Gull!!! Did anyone see the gull yesterday???
The Western Kingbird was a nice treat at Alligator NWR.

Since I've been compiling information for "Birding in North Carolina's
State Parks" for almost a year, my goal is to visit all of our NC parks.
(Book plug! I'm happy to say the book is almost ready to go to the
printer with a release date in March!) After leaving Lake Mattamuskeet,
we stopped at Pettigrew SP for a short visit before dark. Again, no
loons, but we saw four woodpecker species within 30 minutes. Continuing
our pattern since we moved to Raleigh four years ago, a Pileated
Woodpecker flew across the path into the woods. We have yet to see a
pileated perched in NC, they are always flying!!

A BIG thanks to Susan for organizing another great meeting! Thanks also
to Ricky and Wayne, our trip leaders, and Lena, for our first ride to
the Point in her four-wheel drive.

See ya in May in the Asheville area! Happy birding! Karen Bearden
Raleigh, NC
chickadeebirders@earthlink.net