Woodcock

It took a little longer this season, but the woodcock are back in nearly
full force.  Each evening at about 10 minutes to 6 p.m. we begin to hear
the first, exploratory "peent" calls from the beaver-filled
early-successional area behind our house.  A few minutes later the first
bird takes to the sky and carves wide circles while producing the
characteristic trilling sound.  After a few revolutions the bird makes an
"altitude correction" and plummets earthward in a twisting, seemingly
uncoordinated, fall accompanied by a strange warble.  If we are lucky
enough to have approached the bird quietly during the peenting stage, he
will return to the very same spot on the ground to begin the process anew.

Should you want to see the show please feel free to contact me.  I can only
promise an audible show, but most viewers get to see several birds in
flight.

Best,
Steve Shultz
Pretty darn close to the West Lake Road "duck ponds", Apex, NC