Re: Bluebird boxes

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Joyce" <tominbrevard@webtv.net>
To: "Randy Dunson" <rdunson@nc.rr.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2002 8:15 PM
Subject: Re: Bluebird boxes

> Randy,
> How about giving the rest of us a digest of what you learned.

Sure Tom.  Following is a compilation of responses.  Thanks again to
C'birders who responded!

Regards,

Randy Dunson
Hillsborough  NC

--------------------
Wal-Mart, Kmart and lowes all have nice fairly cheap bluebird houses.  I
also have some nice houses at my online store.

Rick in SC   R&R GIFT WORLD
http://www.rrgiftworld.com
http://www.bestmlm.net/member/rickrod
http://affiliates.jeanharris.com/cgi-bin/clickthru.cgi?pid=ND&sid=rickrod

Randy...I purchased a couple at Southern States last year.  I can't remember
the price, but they weren't unreasonable.

The best "Home for Bluebirds" (engraved on the front of the box) are made
here in NC (cannot think of the guy's name now)  and sold at many bird and
hardware stores.  They are about $20 a piece.  The most important feature on
this and ANY bluebird box is a metal restrictor plate around the hole.  The
box I mention I have had  alot of experience with and they seem to last
forever.  And are also easy to check and maintain.

I wish you lived closer to Loris.  There is an old man that makes bird
boxes by the hundredes,  maybe thousands.  The cheaper ones are as low as
$3.50 (last year).  I buy 10 at a time,  paint them a dull color,  put
aluminum flashing on top, and smooth up the entrance hole with a sanding
drum.  Some are pretty rough.  His boxes open by one side hinging out by
two nails near the top but he does not put a stop at the bottom so I drill
a hole and insert a sawed off 8d nail which I can pull out with my
fingers.  Every one of his boxes had a nest of some sort in them. ES

Homes for Bluebirds, Bailey, NC 12.50$, pole costs extra if you want
one, absolutely indestrucible.  Can be reached through Finch's Nursery,
Bailey, NC - sorry, don't have the number but information will.  Sharon

Hi!
Just catching up on messages after the Chapel Hill
Bird Club trip to the OBX.
Fitch Lumber in Carrboro has a hug pile of them for
$4.
I did not have a lot of time to study them but looked
pretty good for 4$!!
I saw screws on at least the front plate but can't
remember the rest (so they have some thought as to
clean out, etc).
Apparently they do this yearly.
One CHBC member said this weekend that they used to
give them away
to encourage people to put them up.

Hi.  Just thought I'd add a suggestion if you're still
looking for bluebird boxes.
I haven't specifically looked for that item, but
Southern States (also called Family Farm Supply) sells
some good quality birding supplies at fair prices.

Sorry I am a little late on this but I just read your note of thanks for
suggestions on good quality reasonably priced boxes.  I  would like to
add one more to your list.  In my opinion, these boxes beat any I have
seen anywhere.  I have several that have been up at least ten years and
show noevidence of giving up. They are made just to the east of Raleigh
at the address below.  Many stores may have them. They are easy to
mount, clean and view nesting birds and the birds seem to like them,
mine are used every year - bluebirds, chickadees or titmice.
They are made and distributed by  Jack R Finch
                                                    Homes For Bluebirds,
Inc.
                                                    C/O Finch's
Blueberry Nursery
                                                    Rt. 1 Box 341
                                                    Bailey, NC 27807
                                                    (919) 235-4890

This is a mom and pop operation and both the Finch's are up in years.  I
have not contacted them  about 3 years and am not sure they are still
operating.