osprey, eagle, etc

Had a raptor sort-of-day....

  Checking out Jordan L. off the Big Woods Forestry Station
for Ospreys only found several 100 cormorants staking out snags.
Then finally returning to my car had a huge fish fly directly over
my head with an Osprey riding his back and hanging on for dear
life! :-)
  At Big Woods bridge an adult B. Eagle was sitting smack-dab in
middle of one of the old heron nests -- he too eventually flew
directly over my head. Recent eagle activity around the heron nests
may explain why there are no herons active there thus far.
  Finally, at Little Crk. Impdmt(hwy54) 10 T.Vultures were sitting
on low snags apparently watching fish in the shallows. A Red-sh. and Red
Tailed Hawk squabbled and once the RT retreated two RS's. mated in triumph
on the highest snag around. A pack of crows then chased the exhibitionist RS
out of the area!
  And the campus owls have yet to go to nest.

**Rob Gluck   Chapel Hill    thrush@hotmail.com