Re: Common Redshank

Hi,

Some notes from the opposite point of few (from the other side of the
Atlantic). The Lesser Yellowlegs is much more similar to Wood Sandpiper (which
often shows yellowish legs but is slightly smaller) than to Redshank. The
latest is much more thick-billed species and looks more compact being slightly
larger. As far as Spotted Redshank  that species has distinctly longer bill
than any Redshank or Lesser Yellowlegs. In addition Spotted Redshank shows
distinct contrast between pure white underwing and always grayish or blackish
flanks in flight whereas all other similar species like Greenshank, Yellowlegs
show more grayish underwings. Ruff - may have legs whatever he likes... In
fact the coloration of so called bare parts in birds (made from keratin, as we
call it horn parts) may vary a lot. it depends more or less in hormone levels
in birds. During breeding season in many species these bare parts like legs,
bills or unfeatherd lores, become bright colored (red or yellowish). Sometimes
it is just a one week or so of that bright colors (Cattle Egret has bright RED
bill for a very short period). In the other hand birds in not-perfect
condition may show very faded bare parts which express their poor condition.
Sometimes bare parts may change colors very fast, even just in minutes or
seconds while we carry bird in a hand (banding) which is reaction for stress.

Mike

> Yellowlegs have been recorded with distinctly reddish- (and greenish-)
> colored legs. This often fools birders into thinking they've got a
> vagrant, especially birders who haven't looked at thousands of yellowlegs
> to appreciate how variable their leg color can be. Unless these Canadians
> had some field marks to go on besides just leg color... Consider this
> quote from the California Bird Records Committee (they didn't accept this
> report):
> "SPOTTED REDSHANK Tringa erythropus. A Tringa seen at Winchester, RIV, 28
> Sep 1996 (1996-131) was reported to look like a yellowlegs but to have
> red legs. It was never seen in flight or heard calling. Most Committee
> members felt a record of such a rarity should be supported by a
> description that at a minimum included the extent of the white on the
> back and rump."
>
> In doing a little web-surfing, I've found quotes from a few birders
> saying that some Ruffs can have bright red legs and be confused with
> redshanks as well. Still a rare bird, but not nearly as rare as Common
> Redshank, which as far as I know has never been confirmed in the US!
> (they are reported pretty regularly, but noone ever gets a convincing
> photo; kinda like Ivory- billed Woodpeckers, or Bigfoot...)
>
> For an amusing bit of evidence, an excerpt from Kenn Kaufmann's great
> book "Kingbird Highway" concerning pretty much this very problem is
> on-line at
> http://www.petersononline.com/birds/kingbird/excerpt20.shtml
>
> Good birding,
>
> Josh