Safflower Seed

C'Birders, Bruce Krucke, in particular:

Last fall, Carolyn Bush and I had a great time sitting in a friend's
kitchen watching a young male Rose-Breasted Grosbeak, pigging out on
Safflower seed for a solid 15 minutes.  This particular bird spent a few
weeks with them before moving on.  We saw all the other local birds eating
these seeds too.  In fact , other than 'thistle' seed this is the only seed
they put out.  Their house is in Carolina Shores, the town adjacent to
Calabash,  just beyond the SC border, here in Brunswick Co. NC.

So last winter I bought some safflower seed for my daughter in No. Va. and
said let me know what comes, if anything.  She had to replace the seed in a
couple of days.  As far as I know no one else in her neighborhood had
habituated the birds to it.  I think Cardinals were the main feeders but
other local birds there ate it.  I put some out when I got back here in
Sunset Lakes, and the birds ate it up in a few days.  It happened so fast
and since our feeders are away from the house I'm not sure what all ate it.
Cardinals for sure.  The advantage of course is there are no shucks.  I must
remember to get some more.

Good Birding,
Mary, still waiting for my first Parula of the year, McDavit
osprey1@atmc.net