killdeer/plover question

Just to give the experts a good laugh, you can read
and learn how little I know about the birds I see.
Be kind, now, don't scold me, if you decide to answer.

Tuesday around 10:00 I saw a bird walking along in the
very short grass that separates a parking lot from US
Highway 70 between Garner and Clayton, NC. (Southeast
of Raleigh.)  I was studied him as best I could, not
having a field guide in my car. (note to self, put a
field guide in the car.)  My first thought was that it
was a killdeer, of which I have only seen one or two,
last spring.  I tried to make mental notes of what it
looked like so I could look up the killdeer when I got
home, but I noticed that it only had one dark ring
around the neck.  My field guide lists a Wilson's
Plover as being a shore bird.  Would it be out of the
question for one to be 90 miles inland this time of
year?  If a Wilson's plover would be too strange, any
other suggestions as to what it might have been?

I'd also love some links to some good, reliable sites
showing migration maps for various birds.
Thanks.
............kim bruff

=====
.....kim bruff
Perched on the Wake/Johnston County line in NC
kimbruff@yahoo.com