chickadees and others

Howdy,

Joe and I returned early from our trip to Texas. I was delighted to wake
up to see a chickadee outside our bedroom window flying into the box,
because I heard kids inside begging for food! YEAH!! While we were gone
I wondered if they would make it this year. So far, so good.

It's neat to see and hear White-throated Sparrows still, and the
Yellow-rumped Warblers are in their breeding plummage now. Haven't seen
a catbird in the yard yet, but I was glad to read Shantanu saw one
today.

Birding is different every day, especially this time of year. Birders
saw 24 species of warblers in one day at Sabine Woods in TX, five days
before Joe and I were there. We saw a total of 12 warblers in 3 days of
birding! I had the laptop with us to keep up with Carolinabirds.
Interesting to read you writing about parulas, Yellow-throated and
Prairie Warblers in the Carolinas, but we didn't see any along the TX
Gulf Coast. Had terrific looks at Northern Waterthrush, Kentucky and
Hooded Warblers, and a stunning Prothonotary Warbler within 2 feet above
my head. Other highlights were 25 species of shorebirds, including
thousands of avocets, lots of hummingbirds, and a heron rookery with
beautiful spoonbills, egrets, and herons in their stunning breeding
colors. WOW!

Joe and I only add a bird to our list if we both see it. I'm happy to
say we both finally saw a Lincoln's Sparrow (I actually saw one first a
few days earlier with CBC'er Lynn Barber) and a Philadelphia Vireo (Joe
saw one in High Island 5 years ago). Finally!!! Will always posts both
birds in the Triangle area and we hadn't seen them, yet!!

I am greatly impressed with what Houston Audubon Society has done with
the four bird sanctuaries on the coast. I talked to a woman who happened
to be in charge of setting up volunteers. For seven weeks, HAS has 4
volunteers each day at Boy Scout Woods Sanctuary collecting the fee ($5
or $20 for an annual pass) and selling merchandise. It starts in
September finding an artist to design the shirts, patches, and pins.
Amazing!! And, Texas Ornithological Society owns Sabine Woods. It got me
thinking, wouldn't it be neat if the Carolina Bird Club owned a piece
of property great for birding??? I know, it's a responsibility that
would require lots of money and volunteers, but what a great thing to do
for our birds. Maybe work with a local land trust. Just a thought!! Hey,
Elisha Mitchell has Beaver Lake Sanctuary (one of our CBC field trips).
I'm looking forward to Audubon North Carolina opening their first nature
center.

I'm so glad to be home after our long drive. Have to admit I'm not in
the mood to drive a long distance again or staying in another hotel,
but, I'm looking forward to seeing some of you and the birds in Black
Mountain in a couple weeks.

Jo Ann or somone else that might know the answer---do you know if you
can open the windows in the Blue Ridge Assembly rooms??? Hotel rooms are
so stuffy!!
See ya!

Happy birding! Karen Bearden
Raleigh, NC