Several Firsts

I finally feel like spring has found me.  I had our first ruby-throated
hummingbirds today and late this evening the wonderful sound of a wood thrush
and later great views as he went about the yard.  I was beginning to think I
was the only one who hadn't had a hummingbird.

Stopped by Eno River State Park and lazily birded from the car.  Heard the
prairie warblers as previously reported and my first indigo bunting of the
year.  He flew down to one of the puddles on the road behind their regular
field, bathed and then flew up to one of the tall cedar trees.  Was only
there a minute or so but no doubt about who he was.  Heard the parulas,
blue-grey gnatcatchers, chipping sparrows, one common yellowthroat and the
other year around birds.  Missed any tanagers but that was probably due to my
laziness.

Great day for birding in Durham.

Dianne Smith
jbs4711@aol.com