Pink coloration (was: Two questions)

I missed the original question, but if the subject is the origin of pink
coloration in gulls and terns...

Roseate Terns have their deepest pink coloration when in fresh plumage,
and the pink fades as the breeding season progresses.  I think the pink is
in the feather, and fades due to bleaching by sunlight.  The pink is more
visible if you part the feathers, because each feather is pinker towards
the base than at the tip, where sunlight hits.

Ross's gulls can be dramatically pink.  I'm the world's worst "chaser,"
but I did make an exception for a Ross's gull one time.  Even I'll drive
three hours to look at a pink gull.  I wasn't disappointed.

CH

Christopher E. Hill
Department of Biology
Coastal Carolina University			Ph: 843.349.2567
P.O. Box 261954					Fax:843.349.2201
Conway, SC 29528				E: chill@coastal.edu

The worst government is the most moral.  One composed of cynics is often
very tolerant and human.  But when fanatics are on top there is no limit
to oppression.  --H.L. Mencken (1880-1956)