Re: Carolina RBA Sept. 5 Update

Hi,

Thank you all very much for detail explanation of the RBA report ideas. I agree
with most of these however have three notes.
1. Do not know why again in discussion like that, "scientific" and "amateur"
birdwatching or collecting data are treated separately. If we are talking about
birds records so what is the difference between some famous ornithologist record
of 1 Reeve in Durham, and some just "weekends" birdwatcher (some busy teacher or
so) if both of them now birds well? Most of the data collected by amateurs are
valid and are very, very important. People write excellent books and papers
basing on data similar to those presented in this and similar servers. If there
are discussion about birds morphology or distribution it is then SCIENTIFIC
discussion about these problems. Why not? People are not paid for birdwatching
but they could be professionals because they KNOW birds and they have sometimes
better knowledge about some bird's live aspects than so called "professional
ornithologist". Birdwatchers doing it for fun but it doesn't mean it is not
scientific. In the other hand "scientific forum" would not be so nice like this
one, I am afraid... People here do wont information and do wont to learn, which
are very important features of scientist, by the way.

2. Does RBA should  include as much information as possible to be completed as
much as possible? I think yes, if RBA collects data from this forum as well. Sure
all of these data are not official records (will be after acceptation by local RC
or so) but it doesn't change a thing. If the report will be more accurate, (and
it doesn't meter from where are this information from phone, list server or
letters), more people will know where to go and what to expect. I do not question
the report itself, I only ask why there are not all of these data presented here
and there. If the report cover just coastal region of Carolinas then OK, but it
should be define. You could present interesting sightings from coast (different
rare birds list), central (other rare species) and mountains. That is up to you
but if you show only w few records for ALL area of Carolinas then I have to ask
some questions!

So we (I can say WE, I stay here more than a year) have Carolina Bird Club, Bird
Record Committees (South and North), RBA and this list server. Well my question
is: where can I find the most accurate date about birds sightings in N Carolina?
Does any of these organization present monthly report (I am not talking about
year report of BRC) of what is going on with birds in Carolinas?

I am sorry I have started some thunderstorm again.

Mike

PS. I do realize where am I and if you like I can just send my counts to the
server and no more stupid question. By the way I haven't been payed as scientist
for more than a year so I am amateur. Professionals are paid for what are they
doing, stupid or not, but paid.

Michal Skakuj  Ph.D.
4600 University Drive apt. 1312
Durham, NC 27707