Falls Lake shorebirds

Hi,

Thanks to Ricky last message I got to the NE side of HWY85 bridge
eventually. That looks like the best shorebird spoton Falls Lake lately.
It is very easy to access so if anybody would like to go there I will
send some sketch and description.
It was fairly windy and even rather cold standing still on open,
something new after that long and worm Summer.  The area is not very
easy, there are many old stumps with some paddles and many birds
(especially Least and Pectoral but Stilt as well) were feeding among
them or just standing still facing the wind. So I could overlooked some
small, brownish birds (like Least). It is not huge variety od species
but it was nice see Stilts again.

Killdeer - 22
Greater Yellowlegs - 2
Lesser Yellowlegs - 61
Stilt Sandpiper - 21 (most birds in almost full winter plumage)
Pectoral Sandp. - 8
Dunlin - 3
Least Sandp. - 22
Snipe - 1

Am. Pipit - 2 (my first for NC)

There was also a big movements in forest with many voices of Chickadees
around. Birds are pushed down south by cold air up north and west.

Mike

Michal Skakuj  Ph.D.
4600 University Drive apt. 1312
Durham, NC 27707