Re: request

> With all the viruses, scams, spam, and spyware out there, would it be
> possible for those sending to this list to use 'bird' in the subject line
> unless it's obvious already like the name of a bird or a place.  Many of us
> don't know everyone or their addresses by heart and are afraid to open
> something from someone we don't recognize.  Even just a BC or a CB would be
> reassuring.  Thanks.

One fairly easy thing you can do is to set up a message filter so that all
messages with "carolinabirds@" in the To: or Cc: line are automatically
moved to a Carolinabirds folder. I do this type of filtering with all the
groups I'm subscribed to.  You can do this with just about any modern e-mail
program, even with free web-based e-mail services such as yahoo.com.
If you're worried about viruses, you probably shouldn't be using MS Outlook
(lookout!) Express.  There are many other free (and better) options.

Note: any message with carolinabirds in the From: line probably contains a
virus and should be automatically deleted.  The Klez virus fakes the return
address using a random address from an infected computer's MS Outlook
address book.  Several list members have received these messages (including
me, several times).

--
Charles W. "Will" Cook                  w 919-660-7423
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook            cwcook@duke.edu