Surf Scoters in Sumter Co., SC-11/3/2002

Today I saw 2 female Surf Scoters at Pack's, or Rimini Landing in Sumter
Co., SC.  These birds can probably be seen from the end of the elevated
boardwalk but I saw them after walking 100 meters or so down the shoreline
away from the train trestle.  These birds started out all the way across the
lake and I was able to follow them with my scope as they swam towards me and
ended up about 20-25 meters from where I stood!
Other good birds this week were a second winter/adult Laughing Gull seen
Friday (11/1) from the Irmo side of the Lake Murray dam in Lexington Co.,
SC; 12 Dunlin seen Wednesday (10/30) at the Columbia WWTP which is along the
Congaree River and next to Heathwood Hall Episcopal School; 5 Dunlin seen
Thursday (11/1) in Saluda Co., SC at the extensive mud flats along the
Saluda River on SC Hwy 395; and 5 Dunlin seen Monday (10/28) in Sumter Co.,
SC. at a large farm pond near Stateburg, SC.  This pond is on a small county
road that runs between US 378 and SC Hwy 261.  Good birding to everyone.

Mike Turner
Columbia SC