Carolinabirds 6th anniversary

Happy Friday the 13th!

Carolinabirds was born 6 years old today, on the auspicious date of Friday,
13 December 1996.  Our number of subscribers seems to have stabilized,
though more people are reading us now on the four web sites that carry our
group.  Here's some information about us:

Total subscribers on
12/13/2002: 529
12/13/2001: 545
12/13/2000: 506
12/13/1999: 438
12/13/98: 368
12/13/97: 262
1/13/97: 104
12/14/96: 17

Breakdown by location on 12/13/01:

1	Canada
426	United States
102	unknown
There used to be more foreign subscribers - I'm sure the availability of
Carolinabirds on the web has a great deal to do with the decrease.

1	AL
1	CA
1	CT
1	DE
5	FL
6	GA
1	KY
2	MA
1	MD
309	NC (72.4% of known locations)
4	NY
1	OH
2	PA
79	SC (18.5%)
3	TN
8	VA
1	WA

North Carolina's percentage is up from last year's 69.7% and SC's is down
from 20.6%.

124	Research Triangle area (29.0%)

The Triangle area's overrepresentation is up slightly from last year's
27.9%.  In NC, the Asheville area is also well represented, the Charlotte
area is a little underrepresented, and the Triad area (Greensboro/Winston-
Salem/High Point) is woefully underrepresented. In SC, the majority of
subscribers are in the Charleston, Columbia, and Greenville areas.

Breakdown by sex (estimated from names):

313	male (60.5%)
204	female (39.5%)

There's a slight trend of a higher percentage of female subscribers.  In
years past it's held steady at 38%.

Thanks to all of you who make this group a success!  Please let me know if
you have any suggestions for improving the usefulness of Carolinabirds.

Merry Christmas Bird Counting!

Will Cook
carolinabirds-owner@duke.edu

--
Charles W. "Will" Cook                  w 919-660-7423
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook            cwcook@duke.edu