twinkle toes

Anyone ever observe passerines other than corvids (crows, jays) or parids (chickadees, titmice) with the ability to eat food clutched in their feet? Sometimes they remind me of little bandits -- always eating on the run. What an advantage this must provide, enabling them to take food to a safe perch. In addition, they appear to open seeds and nuts with relative ease -- much more efficient than the "sledge hammer" technique. (I once watched a brown thrasher going after an acorn in this fashion.) I wonder what gives the parids and corvids such a unique ability. Is it inherited or learned? Do they actually have more dextrous toes than other birds? I have read that corvids are likely the most intelligent of all birds. Where do parids fit in? One might even liken them to miniature corvids. Compare a bridled titmouse to a blue jay or a chickadee to a gray jay.

Anyone with knowledge or thoughts on the subject, please share them with me.

Thanks,
Leah

Leah Campbell Cornwell, SC faeriemaiden@hotmail.com

"In order to see birds, it is necessary to become a part of the silence." Robert Lynd