Jordan Lake, NC on 12/14/02

Mike Swaim and I were the only ones to brave the Jordan Lake (Chatham
County, NC) area on Saturday 12/14/02. Despite the chop and numerous duck
hunters racing about, we saw a number of birds on the lake from Ebenezer
Recreation area:
Horned Grebe: 50+
Mallard: 200+ (all in a tight flock in the middle of the lake--no doubt
scared away from the edges by all the hunting activity).
Bonaparte's Gull: 10

At the treatment plant, just north of Ebenezer on SR 1008 we saw a flock of
six Bufflehead.

At Crosswinds Marina we saw a large flock of Cormorants and Ring-billed
Gulls, with two Herring Gulls mixed in.

Our other main stop was at the educational state forest on Big Woods Road.
There we ran into a big flock (50+?) of very tame Ruby-crowned and
Golden-Crowned Kinglets. These foraged all about us quite low, even hopping
onto the ground at times. Two Brown Creepers were also present in this
flock, along with the other usual mixed flock suspects (Tufted Titmouse,
Carolina Chickadee, Downy Woodpecker).

As always, check out www.newhopeaudubon.org for future field trips, etc.

Patrick Coin
Durham, NC