pond

finally got to the pond after a long absence due to ice storm and holidays
but went out on Sat only to be disappointed at the numbers and species
found.  Ring necked duck about 50, and 2 hooded mergs male and female, no
coots, no grebes, no Canadas, Am. Widgeon, ruddies or mallards.  I can only
think of 2 reasons for such a lack of ducks 1/ too many hunters, or 2/ the
pond ecology is changing.  There were lots more ducks and species when I
was out last.  Land birds were better; yellow-bellied sapsucker, wrens, 2
red tailed hawks, one TV, field sp, W-T sp, great blue heron were some of
the better birds but no kinglets.  I will be interested to see what happens
after this predicted rain and end of hunting season.  pond is in NE Or. co
barb brooks Hillsborough, NC   brooksba@mindspring.com

--- Barbara Brooks
--- brooksba@mindspring.com
   Hillsborough, NC