Hermit Thrush Behavior

Happy New Year to All:
    As this new year dawns rainy in Charlotte, NC, my backyard birds, who are
known for their tenacity in all weather, are scarce this a.m. - save for the
persistent Hermit Thrush who has been relentlessly flying into the windows of
our porch for the past 4 days.  Perhaps longer actually, since my family and
I only returned from holiday Saturday night!
    He does a predictable rotation on 2 sides of the porch, landing in the
same spots, giving two distinct calls all the while, tail cocking and wing
flicking.  Reading Sibley's Guide to Bird Life & Behavior, I am led to
believe he may be defending his winter territory against himself who he sees
reflected in the glass.  I have tried to discourage him, but finally I have
given up since nothing seems to have an effect.
    I put out fruit for him, which he seems to appreciate during his
exhausted breaks from trying to displace the "interloper" who looks so much
like him!
    May 2003 bring us all interesting and abudant birding!!!
    Wendy Ross Kaplan
Wendy Ross Kaplan
Charlotte, NC
Wenbirdy@aol.com
"When elephants fight, it is the grass that suffers." - old African saying