Chattanooga Cranes Venture

C-birders
Just returned from our weekend Venture to the Chattanooga area of eastern
Tennessee. It was a very cold weekend with temperatures plunging to around
11 degrees. Still, we had a very good time and saw plenty of the local birds
and good birding areas with help from transplanted CBC member, Kevin
Calhoon.
Highlights were:
10,000 Sandhill Cranes -what a sight and surely one of the most impressive
sights in this area. Alas, the Whooper had left by 3 January!
Bald Eagle, Common Goldeneye (lots!), Greater and Lesser Scaup, Common Loon,
Horned Grebe. Palm Warbler (flock of 11!!)
We also spent 3 hours at the TN Aquarium, which was not long enough and was
outstanding. Also well worth the trip.
Our next Venture is to Charleston, SC from 23-25 January with still a couple
of spaces left.
Also upcoming are the following:
Displaying Prairie Chickens, KS     April 8-15 with Simon Thompson
Spring Migration on Dauphin Island, AL April 22-26 with Lex Glover
Contact the Ventures office for more information
Hope to see you in Washington, NC if the snow does not get too deep up here
in Asheville.
Simon

Simon Thompson
Ventures Birding and Nature Tours