Deserts In Winter (off topic) although we saw a brown thrasher

Janet and I just got back from the Wings "Deserts in Winter Trip" which was led by Paul Lehman and Chris Woods. We had a wonderful trip escaping some of the NC bad weather and spent 8 days going from San Diego to SE Arizona.

We ended up seeing 267 species which topped the previous trip record of 254. Paul has amazing local contacts so we were able to see a lot of staked out rarities including Rufous-Backed Robin, Black-capped Gnatcatcher, Ruddy Ground dove, and Yellow-footed Gull. We had a woodpecker trifeckta with White-headed woodpecker, Red-napped and Red-breasted sapsukers at the same time. We also had a desert thrasher tutorial with Leconte's, Bendire and Crissal thrashers providing long scope looks almost at the same time.

The high point in terms of the environments were the Anza-Borrega desert of California and the Sonoita Grasslands of Arizona.

Tom

Tom Krakauer Bahama, Durham County, NC tkrakauer@mindspring.com