White-winged Scoters, Common Goldeneye at Lake Crabtree

As Sandy mentioned earlier, the drake White-winged Scoters persist at Lake
Crabtree County Park.  There are 2 largish ice-free patches of water, each
holding a number of ducks.  The scoters are in the patch closest to the park
facilities and can be best viewed from the boat house area, particularly the
observation tower.  A scope is desirable.

The second patch of open water held the hen Common Goldeneye among others,
including a fair number of Greater Scaup.  This patch of duckiness is best
viewed from the opposite side of the lake from the boat house.  Drive across
the causeway (away from the airport) and park at the back of the McCollister
storage warehouse just off Aviation.  A short trail down the slope leads to
the trail circumnavigating Lake Crabtree.  The ducks can be viewed with
relative ease from this location.

Tracy and I tried Jordan this morning, but found few birds.  We did have
nearly 2000 DC cormies on the breakwater at Crosswinds, a loon, and a bunch
of Horned Grebes.  Otherwise, not much.  Seaforth and Ebenezer point are
closed, Farrington and the boat ramps at Ebenezer are open.  You can still
scope the little bay behind Seaforth by parking near the locked gate and
walking a few yards to the lake shore.

Have a great week!

Steve Shultz
Apex, NC