Re: Monarch Butterflies, Alive and Well in Mexico

Tom--

Thanks for the good news on Monarch recovery!  I heard about it
yesterday on NPR (radio).  It was noted that the Monarchs are amazingly
robust, able to recover rapidly from setbacks such as this one.

There was a down side, though, in that some areas where the dead
Monarchs were found the previous year (as much as 3 feet deep),
the trees are no longer present, due to rapid deforestation.

In fact, while the survival of the species is not at risk, this entire
miraculous migration will soon come to an end unless swift action is
taken to protect the Monarch's winter habitat in Mexico (which is
confined to so few acres).

Of course, we face the same issue in protecting our migratory birds.
Instead of just feeling helpless and upset, do other C'birders know
how we can take action to protect the Monarch migration?  Is the
WWF invloved, for instance?

Jerry Griggs     j@sc.edu
Columbia, SC