Re: scope vs binoculars

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Charlotte Goedsche wrote:

> Reading John's postings on his new BIG binos brought back an old memory from
> high school chemistry class. The teacher told us to keep both eyes open when
> looking through a (monocular) microscope. I wasn't very successful at that,
> but when I remember to do so (i.e., infrequently) I try to use our scope
> that way. The brain seems to be able to pretty much ignore the input from
> the second eye if it is concentrating on those peeps in the distance through
> the other eye. I haven't tried this when it's really sunny out and I'm
> facing into the sun, though.

Keeping an eye open is tough for me.

To reduce eye fatigue especially in bright light or when when scoping for
a length of time, my eye patch is invaluable. The eye stays opens, has
room to blink and keeps dust our of my eye and contacts.  When not in use,
it hangs around my neck.

These are available at any drug store and usually under $2.  Since they
are useless when crushed, mine will be transported to S. Carolina Saturday
in a 3" covered Tupperware-type bowl.  A secure cover is important.

Good birding.  Carol

--
- carol schumacher-carol@linux2.winona.msus.edu-winona,mn
	on the Mississippi	birdminnesota.com