Keep that eye open!

All,

I find eye strain reduced if I keep both eyes open when looking through a micro- or tele- scope, and I find it easier to acquire whatever I'm looking for in the scope this way, too. This is whole thing is also an old and familiar problem for shooters. If you have difficulty keeping your "other" eye open while peering through a scope, you might want to ensure that you are looking through the scope with your dominant eye. Extend your arm and point at something with your index finger with both eyes open. Then, close each eye in turn; when your finger "jumps" off of what ever you are pointing at, you just closed your dominant eye. Usually, right-handed people have right dominant eyes, but it definitely isn't always so, and when your handed-ness and eyed-ness (?) are confused, acquiring visual targets can be complicated. When using your dominant eye to view through the scope your other eye (submissive eye?) will usually behave itself and not distract you too much, but it can contribute to the information processing going on in your brain. And you get away from "squint strain."

So, where are the first spring warblers?

Take care,

Clyde Sorenson
Clayton and Raleigh, NC
clyde_sorenson@ncsu.edu