Sandhills birds

In the morning today, at the Sandhills NWR, SC, I got to see a Female
Northern Harrier (white rump patch,brown above with straight tail
feathers)over the Oxpen lakes area.  In the picnic area near Hwy 145
there was a female Red-cockaded Woodpecker pecking away at different
oaks looking for insects and giving it's raspy call.  Also a American
Bird Grasshopper seemed to be playing hide and seek with me as I got to
approach him very close while he was hanging on the back side of a twig.
I even touched his legs. The temp was still cold so that probably slowed
him down.

Later in the afternoon while driving toward Lake May(in the refuge) an
unidentified hawk came out low from the forest across the road in front
of me carrying a good size snake in his talons.  Also saw 7 Wild Turkeys
of which 3 males had that peculiar breast plume jutting out as they
scampered away from me as I walked through a field.  Two ducks were
nearby also in a flooded field that I believe were Ring-necked.  Other
than some Pine Warblers singing occasionally and Grackles calling it was
a very quiet day. There were a couple of Red-winged Blackbirds,Song
Sparrows two Canada geese,Crows,Turkey Vultures and Phoebes also.
The weather was great and a welcome relief from the last few weeks.

Jules Fraytet
Charlotte,NC