Huntington Beach State Park

Hey Carolina Birders,

Spent some time at Huntington Beach State Park today.  I was hoping to
possibly relocate the Razorbill that was seen on Friday, but it wasn't to
be.  A nice day nevertheless.

I was able to pick up four new birds for the ol' year list.  Two WILSON'S
PLOVERS were seen on the beach just east of the jetty pool.  I ran into
Steve and Barbara Thomas and they had seen a third.  I later stumbled upon
Gary Phillips and we checked the area around the nature center.  I mentioned
I had been hoping to find a BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER.  Gary's keen ears picked
one up within a couple of minutes which we promptly tracked down.  (I had at
least a dozen later on the road that connects the entrance gate to the
carriage path.)  While at the end of the Saltmarsh Boardwalk, a lone BARN
SWALLOW flew over.  And finally, on the same stretch of road where the
majority of the gnatcatchers were found, I heard the "sneeze" of my first
NORTHERN PARULA of the year.  I was able to get good looks at a beautiful
male.  While looking for the parula, I heard what I believe to be the
"pit-i-tuck" of a Summer Tanager.  Although I heard it twice, I could never
locate the bird.  I don't always thrust these ears though.  Again, I'm not
sure when those guys should be back in town.  It seems a bit early.  Several
Yellow-throated Warblers were heard and a few were seen near the west end of
the carriage path as well.

Good Birding!
Ritch Lilly
Myrtle Beach, SC