NC Swallow-tailed Kite

Friends:  On Saturday at 9:00 a.m. Heathy Walker and I had a Swallow-tailed
Kite at the parking area at the north end of North Pond, Pea Island
National Wildlife Refuge.  We were turning around to check out a Peregrine
Falcon when I looked up and saw the bird.  Finally seeing a NC Kite was an
unexpected thrill and a "most wanted state bird" for both of us.  We also
saw the Black-headed Grosbeak in Elizabeth City at 3:00 p.m. on Saturday.
Thanks Eric for making the telephone call.  The bird is getting some nice
plumage.  Heathy and I wish to thank Bob Holmes and Eric and Celia Dean for
providing transportation and assistance in getting great looks a the
"Common" Teal at Cape Point.  Late Saturday afternoon we took the ferry to
Ocracoke Island but saw no Clark's Grebe.  The ferry this morning
(Sunday)from Ocracoke to Cedar Island yielded 150+ Black Scoters and 12+
Surf Scoters.  A lone Marbled Godwit was feeding in the grass at the Cedar
Island ferry terminal.  We rechecked Ft. Macon for the Thick-billed Murre
as we came up empty handed last Saturday but no Murre was to be seen.
Keith

Keith E. Camburn
4435 Huntington Drive
Gastonia, North Carolina 28056