Florence County birding on 4-16

Hi C'birders,
Yesterday, Ritch Lilly and I visited some spots in Florence County, SC
in a quest to reach 100 birds in that county.  We both were successful
largely thanks to whoever left the gate open at the Timmonsvillte Sewage
Ponds (TSP)which provided us the a real boast in the afternoon.  It was
real strange how we just kind of wandered in through those open gates.
We looked for someone to ask permission to be there but there wasn't a
soul in sight. Spent the morning at Lynches River County Park (LRCP)
where the entire long boardwalk was under about 3 to 5 feet of water.
It was a beautiful day with temps in the 70's and clear skies.
64 species plus another while traveling.

Double-crested Cormorant-3 in the TSP.
Great Blue Heron-1
Cattle Egret-7
Green Heron-1 just after the turn from 301 going toward
LRCP
Canada Goose-1 TSP
Mallard-4 2 at a farm pond and 2 more at TSP
Blue-winged Teal-6 TSP
N. SHOVELOR-1 TSP
Ring-necked Duck-2-4 at TSP
RED-BREASTED MERGANSER-1 TSP
RUDDY DUCK-26 TSP
Turkey Vulture-some overhead
Sharp-shinned Hawk-1 hawking insects over LRCP
Red-shouldered Hawk-1 distant over Timmonsville
Red-tailed Hawk-3 overhead
Killdeer-1 at farm
Spotted Sandpiper-3 or 4 at TSP
Least Sandpiper-2 at TSP
Bonaparte's Gull-2 or 3 over TSP
Least Tern-1 or 2 over the drainage impoundments at the Conway, Horry
County Walmart.  Are they nesting on the roof of Walmart?
Rock Dove-a few in Timmonsville
Eurasian Collared Dove-6 or so on wires in Timmonsville
Chimney Swift-2 overhead
Red-bellied Woodpecker-2 heard only at LRCP
Pileated Woodpecker-2 heard only at LRCP
Great Crested Flycatcher-3 heard only LRCP
E. Kingbird-1 on wire outside LRCP
Purple Martin-6 on goards in Timmonsville
Tree Swallow-1 overhead TSP
Barn Swallow-a few overhead
Blue Jay-some
Am. Crow-a few
Fish Crow-2
Carolina Chickadee-3
Tufted Titmouse-some
White-breasted Nuthatch-1 heard by Ritch
Carolina Wren-4 heard only
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher-some
E. Bluebird-a fair number on wires throughout the county
Wood Thrush-1 LRCP
Am. Robin-a few
Gray Catbird-1 seen by Ritch
N. Mockingbird-5
Brown Thrasher-1
Loggerhead Shrike-5 including one at a nest in a bush about 2 feet from
Rt 327
Eur. Starling-some along farm roads
White-eyed Vireo-3 LRCP heard only
Yellow-throated Vireo-1 vigorously singing with persistence we got to
see it
Red-eyed Vireo-5
N. Parula-2 or 3
Yellow-rumped Warbler-some
Yellow-throated Warbler-4
Pine Warbler-2 only!
Prothonotary Warbler-1 only one heard singing!
SWAINSON'S WARBLER-1 heard singing only once at LRCP
LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH-1 vigourously singing at very short nature trail
at Francis Marion University. We did get to see it several times
Hooded Warbler-1 LRCP
Summer Tanager-2 LRCP
N. Cardinal-several
E. Towhee-2 heard only
Chipping Sparrow-about a dozen foraging in the headquarters area of LRCP
White-throated Sparrow-a few
Red-winged Blackbird-1
E. Meadowlark-1 seen while traveling, it was on a farm fence post; he
gave us a beautiful song to enjoy
 Common Grackle-a few flyovers
Brown-headed Cowbird-heard at least two different times
Orchard Oriole-2 seen and heard along a secondary road

Good birding, good company.
and tomorrow we are off to do some headboat birding.

Jack Peachey
Conway, SC