Chucks and the Colorado trip

Chuck-will's-widows have returned to their regular spot at the south end of
West Lake Road in southern Wake County.  We saw 3 (or the same one 3x) and
heard a total of 6-8 at dusk this evening.  Nice to see that they are back,
but if you want to see or hear one better go soon as there is some logging
going on.  Hopefully this will not impact the entire habitat, but I'm not
holding my breath.

Other than the Chucks, migration has been mighty slow in these parts.  A 30
minute trip through Hemlock Bluffs today only turned up Ovenbird, LA
Waterthrush, BG Gnatcatcher and Red-eyed Vireo as migrants.  Pretty sad for
late April.  If it were not for some good reports of birds in the western
part of the state, I'd think we had a "Silent Spring" thing going on here.

A big thanks to Derb Carter who did an EXCELLENT job leading the CBC
Colorado grouse field trip last week.  We hit habitats as varied as
deciduous woodlands at 3,800', alpine tundra (covered in a whole lotta snow)
at 11,000', sage covered prairie, short grass prairie, desert canyon, and
just about everything in between.  The trip total over just over 170 species
was pretty amazing for a landlocked state that had not had many migrants or
summer breeders arrive yet.

I was really impressed at seeing the displays of the various grouse, and the
Greater Prairie Chickens were stunning from the Colorado Wildlife blind near
Wray.  We were literally 10 yards from the nearest displaying bird (no, they
did not seem to even notice us).  I was also really excited to get to see
all three Rosy Finches (+ the Hepburn's form of the Grey-crowned Rosy Finch)
all at the same time at Loveland Pass.  Add a few male Pine Grosbeaks and
that was one happening bird feeder.  If this trip is offered in the future I
highly suggest considering signing up, it was great!

Have a great week,
Steve Shultz
Apex, NC